What you will need to take
WHAT YOU NEED TO SHOW THE REGISTRAR
- You must have the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (this is issued by the doctor who attended the deceased during their last illness).
- It’s a good idea to take the deceased’s medical card, which contains their NHS number
- Birth and marriage certificates (if available)
WHAT THE REGISTRAR WILL NEED TO KNOW
- The date and place of death
- The full name of the deceased (and maiden name for a married woman)
- The usual address of the deceased
- The date and place of birth of the deceased
- The last occupation of the deceased (and name and occupation of husband, if applicable)
- Details of any pension or allowance from public funds.
- If the deceased was married, the date of birth of the surviving spouse